Aug 13, 2003

ilovebacon.com - dumb but fun
A couple of cool days in August. Amazing, welcome, but in the way only a dedicated pessimist can, I feel the blast of heat that will follow, haunting me.

Hummingbird news on the river. I bought a cheap plastic and glass hummingbird feeder a couple of months ago. The cardinals have moved on and I miss watching the birds. So, hung the Hummingbird feeder on the hook just off the porch. We've seen a few hummingbirds, but infrequently and they were less than excited by the feeder. But, over the past couple of weeks there have been a few more. Yesterday morning I noticed the feeder was almost empty, so I took the jar off the feeder and took it inside to mix a new batch of Hummingbird KoolAde. When I finished and went to the trailer door I saw about fifteen (hard to count the little boogers) hovering, and chirping in dismay at the spot where the feeder had hung. I went out and hung the feeder and a frenzy of dive bombing began and they drank so fast bubbles wee rising through the red liquid. When we got back to the river last night only an ounce or two remained. We watched them for a while last night. As many as eight at a time hovering and jockeying for position. Gelaming green backs and the occasional red throat made an awsome show.
Simple pleasures.................

No comments: