Aug 25, 2008

judgement
One entry found.

Main Entry: judg·ment
Variant(s): or judge·ment \ˈjəj-mənt\
Function: noun
Date: 13th century
1 a: a formal utterance of an authoritative opinion b: an opinion so pronounced
2 a: a formal decision given by a court b (1): an obligation (as a debt) created by the decree of a court (2): a certificate evidencing such a decree
3 capitalized : the final judging of humankind by God b: a divine sentence or decision; specifically : a calamity held to be sent by God
4 a: the process of forming an opinion or evaluation by discerning and comparing b: an opinion or estimate so formed
5 a: the capacity for judging : discernment b: the exercise of this capacity
6: a proposition stating something believed or asserted

Merriam-Webster has some fairly straight forward definitions for judgement. However, I found the fourth listing significant. Having discernment and comparing show up as a couplet was, well, clarifying. I have a somewhat positive feeling about discernement. Discernment is a reasonable, careful, mindful consideration followed by a decision. Not so positive a feel for comparing. Comparing is looking at or considering two things, or ideas, or ways of being and assigning positive and negative values. That doesn't sound too awful, until you apply it to another human being. Another wayfarer on this journey through life fighting unique battles and finding unique solutions. I think I will work a little harder to assume all "judgements" about others will fall under definition three, an area outside of my authority

I attended a memorial service last Saturday. It was held in a beautiful church and was one of the most touching and teaching services I have ever attended. A convicting (or condemning) experience. You see, it was held in a "gay" church. There weren't any signs out front that announced that fact. There were no rainbow flags or other signs that I undoubtedly don't get. Inside I encountered genuinely nice people who came to express love and grief and all those other things that us "normal" people feel. What I found was a community of believers who live and love and find a way to survive. I am glad I was there.

No comments: